The Crescent – Casual Trading Spaces
New Markings were laid this morning (Friday 14th August) on The Crescent to indicate spaces where Casual Traders may operate.
• Roscommon County Council produced draft bye-laws to deal with the issue of casual trading in the county. The draft document proposes to regulate casual trading by limiting it to specified pitches, with an annual fee of €300 per pitch.
• Traders will be allowed to operate for no more than three days a week in the county, and no more than two days a week in any one town.
• Traders will require a tax clearance certificate and insurance cover, and will have to comply with certain standards. Playing of music from stalls will not be allowed under the proposals, and traders will not be permitted to expand their operations outside the licensed pitch.
• Local farmers selling cabbage plants etc and specified types of fruit and vegetables will not be affected by the new bye-laws.
• It is hoped that these new bye-laws will go a long way towards dealing with ongoing issues in the casual trading sector in Boyle and other towns.