Please support our Boyle Traders of the Day, 21st February 2019
Joe Simon Building Supplies : Kelly’s Londis : Magees Fashion Shop : Marians Fashions : Sean Carty Car Sales : Stewarts Oil : The Moorings Restaurant : The Stairs Gastro Pub
Keeping the Peace – a superb article and a reminder by Boyle’s Rachel Lavin
An old conflict and a new Border: How Britain’s exit from the European Union could threaten 20 years of peace in Northern Ireland.
Redevelopment of the Royal Hotel Site
At a specially convened meeting, members of Boyle Municipal District approved the Chief Executive’s Report on Redevelopment of the Royal Hotel Site, Part 8 Planning.
The proposed redevelopment of the Royal Hotel Site is to include:
• Demolition of outbuildings to the side and rear of the original main structure.
• Refurbishment works to the original main structure (internal and external) into an Enterprise Centre and Exhibition Space
• Works to include; roof repairs, replacement of windows, repairs/painting of interior/exterior walls, replacement of floors, removal of exterior window shutters, installation of a lift to rear of original building and installation of heating/electrical equipment
• Construction of a River Side Promenade with a canoe dock, lighting, seating and landscaping
• Construction of a new Civic Space with acoustic shell, lighting, seating and landscaping to the rear of the original main structure
• All other associated site and ancillary works
Present at the meeting were; Shane Tiernan (Ros Co Director of Services), Pat Murtagh (Ros Co Director of Services), Philip Fleming (Ros Co local Area Engineer), Adrian Kielty and Alan O’Connell (Ros Co Engineers), Ros Co Cllrs, Michael Mulligan (Chair), John Cummins, Liam Callaghan, Eileen Callaghan (Ros Co Area Recording Secretary)
The meeting was informed that early works have already started with removal of asbestos from the site and that further works will commence early in 2019 with approximately €200,000 available now and later provided the further applied for €2.9 million comes on stream, of which an estimated €600,00 will be required for developing the 3-storey main structure
Cllrs expressed the urgency of the project, and it was suggested that the Royal Hotel project will be a catalyst for further developments in town towards Boyle 2040
The Brexit Backstop … interpretation by Tony Conboy
A thoughtful well-researched guide to Brexit …
• So what exactly is a hard border?
• Why is the Irish Border such a big deal in Brexit?
• What exactly is the backstop?
• Why would there be a need for border checks?
• What backstop has the EU proposed as a solution?
• Does the UK like the EU’s proposed Backstop?
• Does anyone else NOT like the EU plan?
• What are the UK’s proposals for a wider EU-UK trade deal that might avoid a hard Irish border?
• What backstop has the UK proposed?
• Can a compromise be reached on the backstop?
Eating out in the Boyle area
We have a number of very fine eateries in the Boyle area. You can be guaranteed a friendly welcome, excellent service and the very best of food from diverse menus in all of them. All establishments are taking orders now for Christmas Parties. Following here are just some of our venues, in NO PARTICULAR ORDER for eating out in the Boyle area …