Please support our Traders of the Day 20th July
Ardcarne Garden Centre : Clarke’s Bar & Restaurant : Drumderrig Nursing Home : Abbey Haven Nursing Home
BEGINNER YOGA class starting this Wednesday eve 24th July at 7 pm in Boyle Yoga Shack. A 4 week taster term before we kick off another year in September.
Lads and Lassies – Go on and give it a lash!! …Contact Mags 086 836 0111
Kelly’s Londis Fun Day Saturday 20th July 12-4pm
Boyle Arts Festival 2019 – opened Thursday 18th July
Gerry thanked Roscommon Co Co and the staff of King House as well as his hard working committee and businesses and members of the public for their support.
Two years after it was formed, if memory serves me, the late Fergus Ahern became a member of Boyle Arts Committee. The inaugural festival was held in The Moylurg Inn and the second festival in Boyle Parochial School. Then and inspired by Fergus, King House became venue for an exhibition of works transforming what was a local arts festival into one that included works by nationally recognised artists. Through the years, Fergus, assisted by various committee members developed Boyle Arts Festival into one of national and international importance
• May my friend Fergus Ahern (R.I.P. Sunday 19th September 2010) Rest In Peace
Friday 19th July: Say Hello to Matthew Stafford, grandson of the late Fergus Ahern R.I.P. This is a very special photograph – note the similar ‘wave’ as that of his grandad
Boyle Arts Festival 18th-27th July
150 works including paintings, sculptures and a some photographs comprise this year’s “Legacy” Visual Arts 30th Anniversary Main Exhibition. Works by established and emerging artists from across Ireland have been assembled by curator Paul McKenna and are on FREE display in the gracious surroundings of King House
Over the coming days I will be delighted to display photos of most of the King House exhibits as well as those included in the Open Art Exhibition in the Parochial School and Fringe Exhibitions in the area.
Fiesta of Fun in King House this Friday at 3pm.
“As part of the Arts Festival we are having an hour of fun, music and dance for all ages in the grounds of King House..
The Brothers of Charity have teamed up with local children and teenagers to bring an energetic and high spirited carnival-like performance that all the family will enjoy and engage with … See you there …!!”
July 21st at 3:00pm – 4:30pm, King House, Boyle
• The Moylurg Writers from Boyle have been meeting on a regular basis for over thirty years. They have published four anthologies and for many years now an Evening with the Moylurg Writers has been a popular item in the Festival programme. This year as an added bonus, and to coincide with Boyle Arts Festival’s 30th anniversary, the Moylurg writers have compiled a collection of prose and verse. The evening will consist of members of the Moylurg Writers reading from recent works and this will be followed by the launch of their latest compilation. The content is always entertaining, frequently thought-provoking an betimes quite inspirational. Come along and judge for yourself.
Roscommon Herald 16th July
The Toon Team – The Queen’s Portrait
Boyle GAA Club Update 15th July
Boyle Golf Club Update 15th July
Galilee Community (Tintagh, Boyle) – Quiet Garden
Sunday July 14th, 2.30-5.00pm: Quiet Garden Opening and Afternoon of Reflection Closing with refreshments. The Quiet Garden is looking stunning and is truly a place to nourish the spirit. “We offered some thoughts for reflection and a time of prayer, but really the garden itself was the true inspiration”. All were welcome on a beautifully sunny and warm, (divine intervention?) July Sunday afternoon.
Visitors are encouraged to visit this beautiful garden on any day of their choice and can be assured a warm welcome from the Galilee Community Sisters of Mercy
Sale of Sites – Forest View, Boyle
Roscommon County Council has developed sites for sale to applicants who wish to construct a dwelling house for their own occupation, at the following location: Forest View, Boyle (11 in total – €10,000 for each site)
Applications should be submitted before 4.00pm on Tuesday 6th August, 2019
Alleged smuggling at Baldonnel Airfield
GARDAÍ BASED IN Dublin have been alerted by former members of the Defence Forces to alleged smuggling taking place at Baldonnel Airfield.
The former members have alleged that a small number of people who had connections with Baldonnel were actively smuggling alcohol and tobacco into Ireland on a regular basis.
Patricia (Trish) Brennan (née Flynn) R.I.P.
The death has occurred of Patricia (Trish) Brennan (née Flynn) Dublin / Boyle. Beloved wife of Seán and darling mother of Denise. Funeral Arrangements to follow.
Boyle Training Options
Tony Conboy Update 11th July
Magees Fashion Shop, Main Street, Boyle
Stolen plants/flowers – What a Shame!!!
Witnesses have seen two persons stealing plants/flowers from in front of premises in Warren and Maple Drive. They pull the plants and roots, then place them in their baby buggies !!!
Abbey Crest Guests
realboyle.com is delighted to welcome Carolina and Andrei to Boyle and chatting with them, they are delighted to be here. Existing and new guests will also be delighted that they have taken over Mary Cooney’s premium, highly regarded former Cesh Corran premises.
The Toon Team – Royal Hotel – powerwash
Scoil Christ an Ri, Leavimg Cert Girls Reunion from 1979 Pictured in the Stairs Gastro Pub, with their former Principal John Casey & some staff – Pat Mulvihill & Marie Hanmore-Cawley
Pic Mary Regan
Royal Hotel – works underway on the front of the building
Boyle Courthouse works in progress
Passers by will have noted that scaffolding has been erected on both sides of the Courthouse so that roof repairs can progress. Inside the building works are also in progress as can be seen with ceilings (etc) photographed here …
Dangerous Bridge Street Junction
A viewer reported: “I parked my car in a designated area outside Daly’s. While shopping, my car was badly scraped from front to rear by a ‘hit and run’ vehicle heading towards the bridge. I have reported this to Gardai who will examine CCTV from the area. It will take a substantial four figure sum to have repairs done to my pride and joy Nissan car.”
Boyle Arts Festival 2019
Classical and Traditional Music – Boyle Arts Festival
Boyle Arts Festival 2019 will officially be opened by Professor John Crown in the grounds of King House on Thursday July 18th and the evening will be celebrated with street theatre from Curious State and live music from Me & The Lads, featuring Sinead Conway.
“Mercosur deal catastrophic for farming sector in North West” – Marc MacSharry TD
“Mercosur beef imports will damage our climate as well as farming” – Denis Naughten TD
“Mercosur is a bad deal for Ireland” – Senator Maura Hopkins
Know Your Rights: Electric scooters
Question: Travelling to my office through city traffic is taking me longer because of increased congestion. Can I travel by electric scooter instead?
St. Joseph’s Church Flowers
Know Your Rights: State Pension (Contributory)
Question: I will be retiring soon. I spent many years working and I have also spent time raising and caring for my family. Can I qualify for the State Pension (Contributory)?
Protect Your Property
“An Garda Síochána, in conjunction with the European Crime Prevention Network, have launched an EU wide initiative on domestic burglaries with today, 19th June, as our focus day.
The effort is to bring awareness of the issue of summertime burglaries to the public and focus the attention on preventative measures.
We’re using the slogan ‘Keep the Surprises for the Holidays, Not When you Arrive home’.” Tom Colsh Inspector An Garda Síochána
If your home is going to be vacant during the summer period;
1. Ask a trusted neighbour or family member to conduct frequent checks of the property at different times of the day to note any signs of trespassing or interference.
2. Ensure the house alarm is set.
3. Check all doors and windows are secure. (Use deadbolt locks if property is to be vacant for long periods).
4. Install timers on internal lights and motion detectors on external lights to make the house appear occupied and offer natural surveillance of the property.
5. Ensure that the building doesn’t look neglected. Cut the grass, trim hedges etc.
6. Ask a neighbour to collect post or if you are going to be away for longer periods arrange a ‘mail minder’ service with An Post to retain post for collection and place a ‘No Junk Mail’ sign on letter-box.
7. Inform the local Garda station about the premises being vacant to afford passing attention on patrols.
If you are going on holiday and your home is going to be vacant, be mindful of what you post on social media. Even if you have enabled strict privacy settings, your holiday plans could be shared with unscrupulous people.
1. Don’t post status updates about your holidays while you’re still away.
2. Don’t post pictures while you’re away.
3. Respect other people’s privacy, don’t tag others while you and they are on holidays.
4. Avoid posting upcoming travel plans.
5. Consider turning off the location sharing setting of your phone’s camera app.
1. Don’t help the burglar; safely store away ladders, tools etc.
2. Use quality locks on Garden sheds, chain valuable property, tools, bikes, etc. within.
3. Property mark and photograph valuable possessions.
4. Tidy up gardens and shrubbery, this improves visibility and creates the illusion of an occupied home.
5. Consider defensive planting, e.g. thorny plants around the perimeter, for extra security.
Second Gate, Rockingham 2019
A viewer wrote: “Just a gentle reminder – we would be delighted if you could put a small message on realboyle.com regarding our AA meeting. It takes place every Thursday at midday in St. Joseph’s Hall.
Alcoholics Anonymous is an international fellowship of men and women who have had a drinking problem. Their stated purpose is to enable “members to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety.” It is nonprofessional, self-supporting, and apolitical.”
Remember man thou art but dust
Boyle in the County Roscommon
Know Your Rights