Please support our Traders of the Day 24th August
Drumderrig Nursing Home : Abbey Haven Nursing Home : Ardcarne Garden Centre : Clarke’s Bar & Restaurant
Mattress Factory Pittsburg, USA, 2019
• Factory Installed 2019. Participating artists will include Naomi Draper from Boyle.
• The opening reception will be held on Friday, September 27, from 6-8 pm and is free and open to the public.
• Naomi Draper explores the fragility of our built and natural environment, investigating what defines space and how it is lived and activated by humans and non-humans. Combining a range of mediums and processes, she examines the structures and boundaries, limitations and new potentials of public and private environments.
• Naomi graduated from NCAD with a Bachelor of Design specialising in glass and completed a Postgraduate Diploma in Community Arts Education at NCAD..
Joe Glancy R.I.P.
Joe Glancy, Croghan, Boyle, Co. Roscommon. August 22nd 2019, (suddenly) at University Hospital Sligo. Predeceased by his parents, brothers Tom and John; Deeply regretted by his brother Jim and sister Mary O’Hara, brother-in-law Noel, nephews Kevin and Noel, extended family, neighbours and friends.
Rest in Peace
Reposing at his home this Sunday evening, August 25th, from 4pm to 7pm. Funeral Mass on Monday at 12 noon with burial immediately afterwards in Killapogue Cemetery.
Úna Bhán Community Notes – Update 23rd August
Boyle GAA Bus Trip
Boyle GAA Club Social Initiative Trip will be to the National Ploughing Championships in Carlow on Wednesday, September 18 in the Club Rossie Bus! Previous social trips to Belfast and Dublin were enjoyable and well received – the ploughing has been chosen this year due to popular demand. We anticipate that places will fill up quickly and encourage those interested in travelling to contact either Martin Dolan on 086 241 3529 or Barry Lowe on 086 854 5492 for further details and to book places. Please note that this is an open trip for anyone who wishes to attend the ploughing championships.
Mother Nature takes over
After two years waiting for our Local Authority to act, this security fencing behind Boyle Enterprise Centre and in the shadow of our Una Bhan mural, has acquired an attractive growth. In a few years time, the fencing will have full growth and the derelict site will be invisible 🙂
Brogans totalhealth Pharmacy – Back to School
Four possible routes for N61 road
New designs for the N61 between Tulsk and Boyle have been put forward by Transport Infrastructure Ireland and Roscommon County Council.
• The N61 route between Roscommon and Tulsk is a busy National Secondary Route with current traffic flow in the region of 3000 – 4000 vehicles per day approx.
• A final route will be decided by December 2019, with the public asked to make their own submissions on the project up until the 23rd of September.
• Online submission can be made here .
Lough Key Triathlon
Pleasure Grounds Playground
I took the photo below in April 2016. The playground is still a great resource close the middle of town and is used by parents and enjoyed by children all through the year. At the moment it appears – not like in this photo – but ‘worn out’ and the attractions badly in need of a repaint. It would be great if some or any grouping of our many clubs and voluntary organisations could find time to add a playground repaint to their busy schedules.
A Safepass course will take place at Boyle Enterprise Centre on Tuesday August 27th from 8.00/5.00. For more information or to book a place please email email@example.com or call 071 9673100.
Safe Pass is a safety awareness training programme for construction workers.
Heritage Week in Boyle
Mighty Moths, 22 August, 11am-12pm. Roscommon County Council, The front steps to King House, Boyle,
• Come along to the front steps of King House to see a moth trap being opened to reveal what wonderful creatures are found flying around the grounds of King House during the night while you are asleep!
• Join Michael Bell from Nature Learn to learn about moths. This is an outdoor event so please wear suitable clothes and footwear. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
• Admission Free
Karst, Turloughs & Eskers, Roscommon County Council
• Boyle Branch Library, King House, 17th to 24th August during library opening hours.
Find out about the geological heritage of Co. Roscommon. See amazing photos of mushroom rocks, quarry & road cuttings. Check out “Karst, Turloughs & Eskers” – the geological heritage guidebook.
• “Karst, Turloughs & Eskers” – the geological heritage guidebook for County Roscommon can be borrowed from the library or bought on-line www.rathcroghan.ie/shop/
• Admission Free
Roscommon Herald 20th August
Boyle Group Scheme Vacancy – Caretaker for St. Joseph’s Resource Centre
Boyle Branch of O.N.E. – meeting
The next meeting of the Boyle Branch of O.N.E. (The Organisation of National Ex-Service Personnel) will be held in Daly’s Lounge, Bridge Street, Boyle, on this: Wednesday night, 21st August, at 8.00pm. All Members are requested to attend.
Any former members of the Army, FCA, RDF, Civil Defence, Red Cross or Garda Siochana wishing to join are welcome to attend.
The Toon Team – McDonald’s/Beef
Ardcarne Cemetery Famine Stone unveiled and Mass
Sunday 18th August: Archaeologist Kieran O’Connor unveiled a Famine Stone dedicated in the everlasting memory of the people from the Ardcarne parish who died in the Great Hunger 1945-1849
Fr. Brendan McDonagh celebrated Sunday mass in the cemetery afterwards, attended by a large congregation.
The Famine Stone and granite Mass Altar were generously presented to Ardcarne Graveyard Committee by Pat Horan, Horan Memorials, Ballinafad
Boyle GAA Club Update 19th August
Boyle Golf Club Update 18th August
Mary O’Hara, winner of the Lady President’s Prize, with Geraldine McDermottroe, Lady President
Did you know?
Lough Key Boats – Pete Walsh Boat Regatta 2017
The Walsh family did the late Pete Walsh proud on beautiful Lough Key with a “full house” Trinity Cruiser trip around the lake. Colm Walsh and his handsome crew were aptly dressed as pirates for the event.
• A highlight was Danny Shanley’s very informative, well researched and humorous commentary throughout the trip … a text version with photos would make a valuable and saleable asset to locals and visitors to the area.
• Funds collected from the trip will be donated to the Shout Charity
Erita – Nails and Beauty Boutique
L-R: Aisling Duignan, Erita O’Carroll, Leah Meredith
Erita O’Carroll – Nails and Beauty Boutique – Nails, Waxing, Makeup, Lash Lift, Spray Tans, Eyelashes, Eyebrows and Sunbeds … 085 271 0045 … Bridge Street, Boyle.
The Bazaar – Reshma Ramen
15th August: The Bazaar reopened on Bridge Street under the management of Pastry Chef Reshma Ramen and her family. A warm welcome will be offered to all who visit this treasured Boyle Coffee Shop … see you there
Úna Bhán Tourism – Vacancy
Úna Bhán Tourism in the grounds of King House, Boyle are currently seeking to recruit a Part-Time (19.5hrs per week) Communications and Farmers Market Administrator. The role is available due to our administrator returning to college. This position will require working on Saturdays and is available from week commencing 9th September 2019.
The successful candidate will have: –
Knowledge of Farmers Markets and SME’s
Computer literacy including being comfortable using social media, internet, web campaigns and other Microsoft packages
A strong work ethic, the ability to multitask and enjoy interfacing with customers and colleagues alike
Marketing and Promotion Experience
Knowledge of local Community
This project is supported by the Department of Rural and Community Development and Pobal through the Community Services Programme. Due to the conditions of the funding, Úna Bhán must recruit staff who satisfy the eligibility criteria for these posts. For further information and to apply contact: firstname.lastname@example.org / 071 966 3033
Applications should arrive no later than 5pm on Fri 23rd Aug 2019.
Cigarettes – €20 a pack?
A packet of 20 cigarettes costs roughly €13, and raising this by around €1.17 a pack in the next six Budgets would mean the price of a pack would reach €20.
According to the IHF (Irish Heart Foundation), around 20% of people in Ireland over the age of 16 – around 800,000 people – are current smokers. Department of Health figures also suggest the number of adults smoking in Ireland has declined by around 80,000 in the past few years.
Nordson Medical Job Opportunity
Change is inevitable as circumstances dictate. Information to hand suggests that a well-known Boyle pub has closed, and that a business in the Shambles area will ‘shut shop’, but on a positive note, The Bazaar will reopen tomorrow, Thursday 15th August
Coleman Traditional Festival
Know Your Rights – Appealing your Leaving Cert results
Boles of Boyle – Job Opportunity
Drumderrig House Nursing Home – Care Assistants
Boyle Fire Service – new Car Park
“The Lawn” … untended, broken down, last year’s leaves …
Located in Boyle Town Centre, “The Lawn” runs along the southern bank of Boyle river. Let the photos speak for themselves …
Progress at Boyle Courthouse
Works are continuing onsite. The award of a six-figure Leader sum will ensure that the roof is weather proofed, some windows will be repaired, an 8-urinal etc toilet block will be constructed alongside other internal and external works.
• Previous grant monies went towards works including painting, carpeting, heating and front window replacements etc in the main courtroom area.
• Much work has been done on the Model Railway project and additional funding will be required before an eventual opening to the public.
Clarke’s Bar & Restaurant
The Toon Team – Cycle Path
Know Your Rights – Emergency medical card
Good old-fashioned hand painted Signwriting
State Laws and Coillte Bye-Laws
There is no State Law or Coillte Bye-Law that says dogs must be kept on leads … “effectual control” is the requirement
13. Subject to Bye-law 14 a person shall not cause or allow a dog to be on Coillte lands without it being kept under effectual control as required under the Control of Dogs Act 1986 (No. 32 of 1986).
Tangier House on 2.9 acres FOR SALE
A viewer suggested “Wouldn’t it make a great town centre hotel … with its existing entrances on Shop Street and The Crescent … loads of room to extend and add ‘out of sight’ buildings.”
• Tangier Tots Childcare Centre NOT included
• Person or persons with money and vision required !!
• Call Smith Kelly Scott on 071 966 2124
The Crescent Bye-Laws
Following several years of lobbying (and pleading), Roscommon Co Councillors passed the new bye laws for trading on the Crescent and other site in the county
Roscommon councillors have voted by a majority of 15 to 2 to bring in casual trading laws for the county after the issue was first mooted more than a decade ago.
The bye laws will apply to all towns in the county and cover issues like goods that may be traded, designated trading areas and trading times, insurance requirements and parking of vehicles.
Clarke’s Bar & Restaurant
Always a favourite – Bangers & Mash for Lunch
Boyle Flowers and Plants 2019
A special shout out and thank you to Boyle resident Seamus Young who financed and placed potted plants at several locations on the Crescent and Elphin Street.
Flower and plant displays are looking great all over town this year thanks to Boyle Tidy Towns, Mandy Toolan, Teresa Ward, Boyle Traders, Boyle Residents and Seamus Young
The Toon Team– The Queen’s Portrait
A viewer wrote: “Just a gentle reminder – we would be delighted if you could put a small message on realboyle.com regarding our AA meeting. It takes place every Thursday at midday in St. Joseph’s Hall.
Alcoholics Anonymous is an international fellowship of men and women who have had a drinking problem. Their stated purpose is to enable “members to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety.” It is nonprofessional, self-supporting, and apolitical.”