Ingredients (for 4 servings)
450 g (1 lb) lean minced beef
25 g (1 oz) fresh breadcrumbs
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp green peppercorns
1 tbsp vegetable oil
25 g (1 oz) butter
3 tbsp brandy
150 ml (1/4 pt) double cream
1. Mix together the beef, egg, breadcrumbs, onion and salt. Divide into 8 and shape into small burgers. Coarsely crush half the peppercorns. Sprinkle over burgers and press on to the surface.
2. Preheat oven 130°C/250°F/gas 2. Heat the oil and butter in a fryinq pan, add the burgers and fry for 2 – 3 minutes per side.
3. Reduce heat and . continue cooking for 2 – 8 minutes according to taste.
4. Remove from pan and keep warm in oven.
5. Add brandy to pan. Remove from heat. Set alight. When flames have died down, stir in cream and remaining peppercorns.
6. Season with salt, reheat gently and pour over steaks just before serving.
Coat your hands in flour when shaping the burgers to make them easier to handle.