Know Your Rights: Cohabiting and social welfare payments


I have applied for a means-tested Jobseeker’s Allowance but I was told that I’m not eligible because of my live-in partner’s earnings. We live together but we are not married and we split our expenses equally. Why is this?
The Department of Social Protection (DSP) treats married and unmarried couples in the same way when assessing entitlement to a means-tested social welfare payment.

Read More graphic

Know Your Rights: Boyle Citizens Information Centre provides a free and confidential service to the public. Tel: 076 107 6330, Elphin Street, Boyle.