King House is a magnificently restored Georgian mansion located in Boyle, Co. Roscommon. Built in 1730 as the seat of the King family, a powerful landowning dynasty, the house later became a military barracks and recruiting depot for the famous Irish regiment of the British army, the Connaught Rangers.
At the end of the Civil war in 1923, the barracks passed into the control of the newly-formed Irish Free State Army. Following many years as a merchant’s store, King House was saved from demolition in the late 1980s and restored to its former Georgian style by Roscommon County Council.
The house is now open to the public as a museum bringing its history to life. Home to the Connaught Rangers museum as well as the Boyle Civic Art Collection, the house also plays host to musical, dramatic and cultural events and is a central locale for the ever-popular Boyle Arts Festival.
Private group tours can be arranged, please contact us two weeks in advance of your desired date at: email@example.com