Ardcarne Garden Centre – Job of the week: Plant bulbs
Now is the time to plant spring flowering bulbs and you’ll have the best choice at the moment. Bulbs are some of the most rewarding, hard working and long-lived plants you’ll ever plant in your garden – returning year after year to fill the garden with fresh colour. They are also easy to grow and are perfect for tucking into containers for an extra splash of spring colour.
• Cut back summer-flowering herbaceous perennials as they start to die back for the winter
• Re-fresh pots for the autumn and winter with seasonal colour.
• Sow hardy annual flowers such as Calendula for early flowers next year
Fruit & veg:
• Plant autumn onion sets 2cm deep and 8cm apart. Garlic can also be planted now.
• Harvest pumpkins and winter squash once fully ripe
• Put up netting over leafy vegetable crops and brassicas to protect from pigeons
• Bring tender plants such as pelargoniums and fuchsias in under cover for winter
• Pot up herbs to bring indoors where they’ll produce more shoots for weeks longer
• Reduce watering and feeding as growth slows down for winter
Around the garden:
• Scarify, aerate and feed established lawns
• Net ponds before the autumn leaf fall begins
• Tackle perennial weeds, digging them out with as much root as possible