Job of the week: Water Water Water!
With this prolonged dry spell it’s important to check all your plants every day – especially those growing in pots. It’s best to water thoroughly in the morning or evening to allow your plants to soak up the moisture before the heat of the day.
• Plant out dahlias and other tender exotics
• Sow perennials like echinacea and coreopsis from seed
• Trim rockery favourites aubrieta and arabis after flowering
Fruit & veg:
• Fill gaps in the plot with fast-growing radish and rocket
• Sow dwarf French beans direct into containers of multipurpose compost
• Sow carrots – these late sowings usually escape the carrot root fly.
• Plants out marrows, pumpkins and summer squash into enriched soil
• Continue to be vigilant against slug and snail damage and take action immediately
• Watch out for vine weevils in pots and under benches
Around the garden:
• Tie in plants to stakes to train them in the direction you want them to grow
• Install a leaky hose for irrigation to deliver water exactly where it’s needed
• Mulch bare soil while it’s moist to suppress weeds and improve fertility
Read this week’s Ardcarne Garden Centre Newsletter in full [here…]
Photos taken in Ardcarne Garden Centre on Sunday 5th June…