1916-2016 Easter Weekend Centenary Events in Boyle
‘For the Record’ Exhibition Opening, King House Boyle, Easter Saturday 26 March 3pm by special guest Matt Molloy.
‘They Dared to Challenge’, Book Launch, King House Boyle, Friday 1 April 8pm
• Organised by Boyle Old IRA Commemorative Committee under the chairmanship of Barry Feely, ‘For the Record ‘is a commemorative exhibition of photographs, archival documents and memorabilia of Boyle Old IRA Members 1914 – 1922. The exhibition runs from Easter Saturday 26 March 2016 until Saturday 2 April 2016.
• A ceremonial gathering will be observed as volunteers’ relatives attend 11.30am mass on Easter Sunday wearing their family member’s Old IRA medal.
• The final event is the launch of Barry Feely’s book ‘They Dared to Challenge’. The book will be launched at King House on Friday 1 April at 8pm. The book is a fascinating, highly detailed account of the revolutionary period (1914 – 1922) with photographs and drawings depicting many of the key events. From archival sources, personal contacts and unrivalled local knowledge, Barry has put together a unique record of events in Boyle during a crucial period in Irish history.
• The book and events have received funding from Roscommon County Council under Roscommon Ireland 2016 Centenary Programme.
• These and all events are detailed in the Roscommon 2016 Centenary Programme publication and the national website