Please support our Boyle Traders of the Day, 19th July, 2018
Abbey Haven Nursing Home • Ardcarne Garden Centre • Boles of Boyle
Boyle Tennis Club
Boyle Community Tennis are competing in the Connacht League Div.3. It has been many years since Boyle have played any competitive tennis and great to see the community club getting back into full swing!! Pictured are the Boyle Tennis Team who competed in Sligo Tennis Club recently. The next match is away to Manorhamilton with Boyle hosting a home match against Ballina in September.
• Boyle Community Tennis are always looking for new players and offer membership at extremely reasonable rates. So if you played a long time ago or would like to learn and get some exercise in a fun environment please let us know. Monday nights from 7pm or Wednesday mornings from 11am open to all – just come along!! For juniors there is a tennis camp happening 7-10th August contact Tim 083 1155374 for information and booking.
Fine Gael Convention 2018
Over 1,000 members of Fine Gael will decide this evening who the party will put forward in the local constituency ahead of the next General Election. Convention candidates include John Perry, Gerry Reynolds, Senator Frank Feighan, Michael Comiskey, Hubery Keeney, Sinead McGuire, Noel Merrick and Blane Gaffney.
The convention will get underway tonight at 8pm in the Clayton Hotel in Sligo and results should be known by 11pm.
Thursday 19th July – Boyle Arts Festival
• 6pm: opening of “Cornameeltha” – Portrait of an Irish townland and its people. Photography Exhibition by Tony Murphy in his studio beside the town clock on The Crescent
• 7pm: opening of Boyle Camera Club’s annual exhibition in Boyle Library
• 8pm: Launch of Boyle Arts Festival 2018 in King House
• 9pm: opening Boyle Open Art Exhibition in the Parochial School on Military Road.
• 10pm: Aoife G and her Faily Big Band in Patrick’s Well on St. Patrick Street
Boyle Arts Festival 2018 – launch tonight
Very best wishes to this year’s Boyle Arts Festival committee. They have planned an excellent feast of Spoken Word, Drama, Live Gigs and Visual Art Exhibitions – all part of Boyle Arts Festival 2018. Tonight will be an anxious, emotional time for all involved – the Committee, the Exhibitors and Performers.
• Tonight’s Festival Launch will be celebrated in King House at 8pm.
• I hope to bring realboyle viewers daily updates of performances and details of planned events for each day.
Vitya Malirsh, Boyle resident and artist supreme
Vita Malish, his wife Susan Blennerhassett and a bunch of contented dogs live in Boyle. In his studio, and on location Vitya produces the most amazing charcoal drawings like the one shown here.
Several of Vitya’s 2018 Arts Festival fringe show drawings are on display in a Boles of Boyle shop window – check it out as part of your visit to Boyle Town Centre
Margaret (Peggy) Cryan R.I.P.
Margaret (Peggy) Cryan, No.4 Carrickmore, Boyle, Co.Roscommon, and formerly Laurel Lodge, Castleknock, Dublin 15.
Peacefully at the Mater Private, Dublin surrounded by her loving family. Deeply regretted by her heart broken sisters Mary (Ravesdale) Attracta (Baltinglass), brothers Pat (Kilnamanagh) Tommie (Ballinvoher) nieces, nephews, grand-nieces, grand-nephews and a wide circle of friends. R.I.P.
Reposing at her home on 4 Carrickmore, Boyle, Co.Roscommon from 2 0’clock on Thursday. Requiem mass on Friday at 12 o’clock in Breedogue Church, Burial afterwards to Killaraght Old Cemetery
60 kilometres per hour sign less than 100 metres from a road junction!! Who approves signs like this? By the way the sign on the other side of this pole says 50 kilometres per hour
Boyle River Cleanup and Shop Street sweepup
Boyle Summer Show 2018
Boyle Summer Show (Sunday 12th August) will host the All Ireland Champion Spaniel competition for the 2nd year running. There will be 23 different competition categories in the dog show again this year. This year’s Boyle Summer Show 2018 will be launched on Friday evening July 20th in the Bazaar Café, Bridge St, Boyle at 7pm
Boyle Speed Limits of 30 KPH
• It is noteworthy that a number of areas are not mentioned: Termon Road, Station Road, Felton, The Warren (various), Ashfield, Curlew View, Foxwood Manor etc !!
Boyle Summer 2018 Launch
This year’s Boyle Summer Show 2018 will be launched on Friday evening July 20th in the Bazaar Café, Bridge St, Boyle at 7pm
Before the Boyle River Cleanup – Wednesday 17th July
While taking this and more photos of Boyle River from the towncentre bridge I chatted a group of 12 German visitors to Boyle. Like me they took photos of the river before moving on to take photos of the derelict Royal Hotel. They expressed their amazement and disappointment that the centre of town presented such scenes of neglect.
• I was delighted to tell them that a group of volunteers were scheduled to cleanup the river and Shop Street Car Park later this evening, from a planned 7pm start.
Boyle Arts Festival 2018 – “Gathering” exhibition in King House
Josie Beirne R.I.P.
The death has occurred of Josie Beirne nee Coen, Ballymore, Boyle, Co.Roscommon. Peacefully at University Hospital Roscommon. Deeply regretted by her daughters Geraldine, Mary Teresa, Helen and Martina, son Thomas, sons in law, grandchildren and great grandchild, nephews, nieces, relatives and friends. R.I.P.
• Reposing at her home on Wednesday, July the 18th from 2 to 8 o’ clock. Removal Thursday morning arriving at St. Joseph’s church, Boyle for mass of Christian Burial at 11 o’ clock. Burial afterwards to Killaraght Old Cemetery.
• House Private on Thursday morning please.
Boyle Chamber Lotto Results – Monday July 16th 2018
Numbers drawn: 2, 7, 9, 11
Jackpot winner: None
Match three winners: M. Condon, G. Dwyer, B. Moran, C. Clarke, S. Battles, C. Magee
Thank-you to all who support the draw.
Next draw Monday July 23rd 2018 at 11.00pm in Daly’s Bar. Jackpot €15,410
Roscommon Herald … edited and composited in Boyle … a Boyle trader supported by realboyle.com
Boyle Arts Festival 2018
Christina Bridget Conlisk R.I.P.
The death has occurred of Christina Bridget Conlisk, on the 16th of July 2018, peacefully in the loving care of the staff of Abbey Haven Care Centre and Nursing Home, Boyle. Formerly from 1 Straduff, Geevagh, Co Sligo, also Kilmactranny and Blackburn, England.
Deeply regretted by her loving Son John and his Wife Viona, and her relatives and friends.
Christina will be reposing at Abbey Haven Care Home from 5pm to 6.45pm on Tuesday 17th July arriving to St Joseph’s Church Boyle at 7pm. Funeral Mass Wednesday at 11am with cremation at Lakelands Crematorium Co Cavan at 2.30pm. Further enquiries to Higgins and sons Funeral Directors, Boyle and Ballinameen, Co Roscommon
The Toon Team
Boyle Arts Festival Office 2018
Hurtling closer by the minute, Boyle Arts Festival 2018 will be launched/opened at 8pm on Thursday 19th July in King House. The Festival Booking Office is now open daily 10am-6pm for the duration of the festival. David McGee, Blaithin Dodd and Matthew Callan, and others will be delighted to answer your queries and take bookings
King’s Trail bus tour
I was delighted to be one of those on the King’s Trail inaugural bus tour, accurately billed as “A guided All Day Theatrical Heritage Bus Tour to Roscommon’s most iconic heritage sites, bringing their stories to life and creating an unforgettable experience for all ages”, the surprised-filled tour wonderfully tells “Our Story, Your Journey”.
• The Trail includes Rathcroghan Visitor Centre (Tulsk), Strokestown Park House & National Famine Museum, then continues introducing us to the great love story which would forever connect this great dynasty with their neighbours the King family of Rockingham House, now known as Lough Key Forest Park.
• The Trail concludes in King House, Boyle, with the story of the Connaught Rangers, the birth of the Irish Free State and the end of British Rule in Ireland.
• The modest €30 Adult charge is superb value and includes a tradition food snack break at Rathcroghan as well as lunchtime soup & sandwiches at Strokestown House
• The King’s Trail tour will run each Saturday July 21st to September 8th with a bus leaving at 9.30am from outside King House each Saturday at 9.30am.
• The King’s Trail is an excellent, well-planned, highly enjoyable Saturday guided bus trip to attractions in Co. Roscommon … take it – you’ll love it !!
Boyle Golf Club Update
Pictured at the Signing of the Construction Contract, Cootehall. Included in the photo are: Tony Bambrick (Committee Member), Roden Brady (Building Contractor), Colm Lenihan (Joinet Chairman), Maurice Gannon (Joint Chairman), Seamus Dowd (Building Consultant), Jan Cronzier (Joint Secretary), Sue Evans (Joint Secretary), Peter Griffin P.R.O, Claire Canty (Roscommon Leader). Missing from photograph, Angela Dowd (Treasurer), Mary Fryen, (Committee Member).
Pic Mary Regan
A golden oldie …
Hermit Collective – live at Farmers Market
Saturday 21st July from 10.30am until 1pm, the award winning poetry, music and art group The Hermit Collective will be live in Boyle Farmers market, at King House. Eclectic and entertaining, don’t miss it.
A non-alcoholic gin has officially launched in Ireland
Silk Tree Botanics has just released Ireland’s only non-alcoholic gin! Silk Tree was born when founders Andrew and Tracy Oates (Cootehall) realised their love affair with gin and tonic had run its course.
Facebook/Twitter Updates from our local politicians
Minister Denis Naughten [Facebook…][Twitter…] Eugene Murphy TD [Facebook…][Twitter…] Michael Fitzmaurice TD [Facebook…][Twitter…] Senator Maura Hopkins [Facebook…][Twitter…] Senator Frank Feighan [Facebook…][Twitter…] Luke ‘Ming’ Flanagan MEP [Facebook…][Twitter…] Mairead McGuinness MEP [Facebook…][Twitter…]
I Googled searches to see if I could find minutes or reports from meetings:
• Boyle Municipal District – online last March
• Boyle Chamber of Commerce – nothing even though they had a recent AGM
• Boyle TM – seems dead in the water apart from Facebook updates by someone in Úna Bhán
• Boyle Town Team – they were full of grand intententions but appear starved for funds.
• Cootehall Barracks Committee – congratulations on getting your €156,000 grant to refurbish McGahern’s “The Barracks”
Good Man Frankie
Senator Frank Feighan: “In British ambassadors residence with my FG Colleagues to meet Harry & Meghan. Interesting times”. Good man Frankie … milk that gravy train for all it is worth haha!!
Booking office now open 11am-5pm this week and 10am-6pm next week and for the duration of the festival. Photo shows David McGee, Blaithin Dodd and Matthew Callan who will be delighted to answer your queries and take booking
Michael D for President
Michael D Higgins has confirmed that he will seek a second term as president.
In a short statement, Mr Higgins said he will be “offering himself as an independent candidate, under Article 12.4.4 of Bunreacht na hÉireann, when the Ministerial Order for a Presidential Election is made later this year.
The Toon Team
Conor & Aisling Durkin
Fully equipped Office space available at Boyle Enterprise Centre including WIFI, use of canteen facility, access to meeting rooms, and car-parking. The Centre offers competitive rental costs, serviced reception area, secure 24 X 7 working environment and networking opportunities with other businesses.
For more information or to view facilities please email email@example.com or call 071 967 3100 / 086 203 9182.
Boyle Enterprise Centre is located at Quarry Lane, Boyle and is promoted and managed by Boyle Chamber of Commerce
Mulryan Construction have 10 new quality-built houses under construction on Station Road, Boyle. The development includes 6 two storey and 4 bungalow homes.
• Speaking with developer Danny Mulryan, he said the development was conceived over two years ago and through the good offices particularly of Boyle man Derek Caldbeck and our Co Manager Eugene Cummins, the project got underway just a short few months ago.
• Station Road will become a highly sought-after living area, and is one of just two such developments in the county at the moment.
Boyle Flowers 2018
Xtra Mile Wash & Valet at Stewarts Oil, Mill Road, Boyle
Boyle Arts Festival Saturday 28th July
Bernadine Casserly will be joined by pianist Anne Kielty, for a very special lunchtime concert in the Church of Ireland on Saturday, July 28th. Bernadine has performed all over Europe with Frankie Gavin’s De Dannan and Anne is the pianist and Musical Director, with Boyle Musical Society.
The Town House, Main street, Boyle
Parking cars and pumping gas
It is always a pleasure to feature one of John Mulligan’s short stories here on realboyle.com. This is one you will enjoy … a reality check when you think you are making ‘progress’
Having trouble with alcohol?
Does your drinking worry you?
Is it causing you to get into unpleasant or dangerous situations?
Are family members complaining about your drinking?
• If the answer is “Yes” to any of the above questions then you may have a problem with Alcohol. For information on help and your local meetings, call 01 842 0700 or the Connacht Helpline on 091 767777
• Remember: “You are never alone.”
St. Joseph’s Parish Contact Numbers
Rev. Gerry Hanly P.P. 071 966 2218
Rev. Tito Abuda C.C. 071 966 2012
Parish Office & Sacristy 071 966 2643
Parish Office Hours: 9:30am to 12:30pm
24hr Duty Phone Number 086 826 2643
Parish e:mail firstname.lastname@example.org