Email your news/events: email@example.com : View Blog of older articles [here...]
Boyle Country Meats
Bank of Ireland, Boyle Expo
Friday 27th: Schedule for the Sports Complex can be viewed [here...]
An Oblique View - Tony Conboy
"The blog this week is nearly all sport, though I did not intend it to be so. I’ll mix it better next time".
Garda Commissioner Noirin O'Sullivan has today ordered the biggest managerial shake-up in the force in living memory. As part of the radical re-organisaiton, up to 100 senior officers of superintendent and chief superintendent rank are to be moved, while a number of high profile units will be merged.
• Commissioner O'Sullivan gave the order for the unprecedented shake-up this morning and officers around the country are still being informed about where they are due to be sent.
Family Life Centre, Boyle, 9.30am-1.30pm, Friday 6th March, cost €40. For information please phone 071 966 3000
A Lotto winner has just 24 hours to claim his or her jackpot of €2.9 million. The mystery winner purchased their ticket on November 29 - and they had 90 days to claim the prize from the date of purchase. However, the deadline expires at 5.30pm tomorrow. The ticket was bought in Tesco in Claremorris, Co Mayo. It was a €3 Quick Pick ticket and was purchased just hours ahead of the Saturday draw
• Unclaimed Lotto jackpots [here...]
3 - 4 hours per week @ €10 per hour. Please contact 087 053 5152 for more details
Angela wrote: (Has it really been that long!!! Only seems like yesterday). We are planning a get together this summer of Scoil Chriost an Ri Class of 1980-1985. Please contact Michelle firstname.lastname@example.org or Angela email@example.com to confirm your interest.
The death has occurred of Vincent BEIRNE, Suddenly at his residence. Formerly of Plunkett Avenue, Boyle. Deeply regretted by his wife Ann, daughter Samantha, sons Vincent, Gary, Patrick, Daniel and Jonathan, daughters-in-law, grandchildren Latisha, Tulisha and Aiden, brother and sisters, relatives and friends.
• Reposing at the Ganly Funeral Home, Loughlynn from 5.30pm on Friday evening with removal at 7.30pm to Christ The King Church, Lisacul arriving at 8pm. Mass of the Resurrection at 10am on Saturday with funeral afterwards to Lisacul Cemetery.House private please.
1. Friday 3pm - 8pm, over 70 traders will have Display Booths in the Sports Complex
2. Friday 6pm Dermot Bannon star of RTE’s "Room to Improve".
3. Friday 7.30pm Boyle Fashion Show featuring Spring/Summer styles.
4. A variety of attractions and activities in store for you with prizes galore.
5. Friday: Throughout the day demos will take place at exhibitors stands. There’s something for everyone, from Building to Banking, Farming to Fashion, Flora to Flower Remedies
6. FREE EVENT ... don’t miss it!
1. Saturday 11am-2pm. over 30 local clubs and organisations will have display Booths in King House
2. Sigerson Cup Winners Donie and Enda Smith and Tadhg Lowe will cut the ribbon to open the event at King House at 11.05am.
3. Come and meet Declan O'Sullivan, GAA superstar
4. Special talks before noon on Health and Well Being as well as Crime Prevention.
5. A variety of attractions and activities in store for you with prizes galore.
6. FREE EVENT ... don’t miss it!
Kevin wrote: "Right 2 Water Boyle will have a meeting on this Thursday evening Feb 26th, at 8.30pm, in Gerry Mattimoe’s Bar. All are welcome to attend. If you have any questions on water charges or Irish Water, please feel free to drop in for a chat.
We will also discuss our upcoming events in Boyle and transport arrangements to the National Protest in Dublin on March 21st."
• Come along and meet Declan O'Sullivan, former Kerry Captain who will join us on Saturday in King House from 11am-2pm
• In an inter-county playing career that lasted from 2003 until his retirement in 2014, Declan O'Sullivan was widely regarded as one of the finest players in the history of the game.
• With his native Kerry, O’Sullivan won 5 All Ireland Senior Football Championship medals, 3 National Football League medals and 3 all star awards, together with a host of medals at provincial, underage and club levels. In captaining Kerry to successive All Ireland titles in 2006 and 2007, O'Sullivan joined an elite band of eight men to have captained his county to two All Ireland Senior titles.
1. The Sports Complex will be open from 9.30am on Friday morning closing at 12.30pm for set up but must have everyone out by then as we need to have area cleared for school closing. We will have a team in complex all day
2. The display booths have an MDF Finish so are suitable for Blue Tac & Sellotape but not screws & nails.
3. Teas & Coffees will be provided by Boyle Scouts throughout the day.
The following are the booking details for the musical "Oliver" to be held in St Joseph’s Hall, Boyle from Wednesday 4th March to Sunday 8th March 2015, commencing at 8pm nightly.
• Booking from 1pm to 2pm at Abbey College on all schooldays this week and next week.
• Booking at Business Expo in Sports Complex on Friday 27th February 2015 from 3pm to 8pm.
• Booking at Sports & Community Expo in King House on Saturday 28th February 2015 from 11am to 2pm.
Welcome to a new year of Community games in Boyle. There are a number of upcoming events happening in the next few weeks and months, all the details will be available on our Community Games website. Please check the website regularly for updates.
Frank Feighan TD: "I have been working closely with the doctors. An independent mediator has been appointed between both sides and I am hopeful and confident that issues will be resolved shortly"
A number of students in Roscommon Learning Links are now seeking two weeks work experience, which forms part of their overall award at Level 4 or 5 in Information Technology. Without this two weeks, students cannot achieve their Major Award.
• If you see any opportunity and/or have any backload of work that needs updating or creating, please make contact with Siobhan at 071 966 4510 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• These students are competent using all Microsoft Office applications, but are happy to do any chores or tasks that come under the remit of Work Experience. We look forward to hearing from you.
Breege wrote: If you are interested in enrolling your child in our school please contact us for an enrolment pack on 071 966 3423 or by email at email@example.com. The closing date is Friday, 6 March. Check out www.grangensboyle.scoilnet.ie/blog
Tuesday 17th March - 3pm start: We are absolutely delighted to welcome David and Ian to this year's St. Patrick's Day Parade in Boyle. The parade will start at 3pm and follow the familiar route from Mockmoyne, St. Patrick Street, Bridge Street and The Crescent.
Leitrim Observer report: Over 50 family doctors from the North West initially met in Donegal Town on February 12th last to discuss the threatened collapse of the NoWDOC service. The NoWDOC service based in Carrick-on-Shannon covers all of South Leitrim up to and including Drumkeerin, as well as parts of North Roscommon including Boyle, Strokestown, Elphin and Ballyfarnon. In all, there are 21 doctors involved.
• The local GPs have expressed their concern about the evolving situation which now threatens the continuation of the existing out of hours GP cover in the area.
Shannonside FM report: Irish water expects 17,000 Roscommon residents be off boil water notices by April.
Irish Water is publishing its 25 year investment plan this morning, which says 2021 is the target date to remove all boil water notices. There are currently 5 schemes in Roscommon on boil water notices effecting over 20,000 people. However supplies serving Castlerea, the Boyle and Boyle Ardcarne and South Roscommon areas are currently undergoing testing and waiting approval from the HSE and the EPA.
Wynne's Bar Shave & Dye in aid of Cancer - organised by Joe Tighe - Saturday 28th February from 8.30pm. DJ Francis Candon playing the 'toons' and a great night of fun guaranteed ... look out for realboyle photos afterwards ... see you there!
A Moone Boy movie could be on the way, reveals Deirdre O'Kane. Comedienne Deirdre, who plays mother Debra Moone in the hit Sky 1 show, revealed that Chris O'Dowd's directing skills helped to make the third series the best yet. Deirdre O'Kane thinks third time is lucky for Moone Boy, as she has hinted there may be a movie in the pipeline.
Car Wash and Valet operator required as soon as possible at our Boyle location. Call 'Dirty Cars Wanted' on 086 723 6758
Christy Moore concert, Kilronan Castle on Friday, 13th of March 2015. Christy Moore, Declan Sinnott and Jim Higgins will play for you in KILRONAN CASTLE. Tickets for this Concert can be purchased in Mulveys, Carrick-On-Shannon or Ticketmaster.
Special offers for sunbeds in tanning shops are to be banned from next month. The Health Minister says it’s part of his plan to tackle the number of cases of skin and eye cancer.
Looking forward to what promises to be a great show ... Directed by Frank O'Mahoney ... 4th to 8th March in St. Joseph's Hall.
• The show Oliver with a cast of over 90 students will be staged in St. Joseph's Hall, 4th-8th March inclusive. Tickets will be available at Abbey College stand at the Enterprise Exhibition on Friday in the Sports Complex And on the Saturday in King House. Tickets will also be available in the school.
This could be a 'hot' topic, but that is not my intention. There are guidelines laid out by our Local Authority and the NRA regarding all signs, in town, over shops, on roadways etc. It appears that regulations are ignored in many cases ... so let's leave it at that!
• I fail to understand why there are large NRA signs pointing to Kilbryan and not to other locations.
• I also fail to understand why there are no signs at the Abbeytown entrance to Rockingham/Forest Park. I suspect that most visitors and B&B guests use the Abbeytown route to Lough Key Forest Park.
• Visitors comment on the filthy state and bad condition of many 'official' signs in the area!
The Co Roscommon Dog Pound is in Rockfield, Donamon. The premises has sufficient kennels to cope with expected throughput of 250-300 dogs per year or up to 15 dogs at any one time. The pound will now open between 11am to 2pm Monday to Saturday.
Irish Water says it will take years before the percentage of water leaks in Roscommon is reduced to below the national average. Reportedly efforts are underway to take up to 20,000 residents across 5 schemes off boil water notices.
• Wednesday March 4th: First of ten Wednesday Sewing Classes, 10am – 12 noon €150. Join professional dress maker Alena Gurn and learn how to be creative with your sewing machine!
• Saturday March 7th: National Tree Week Event 11.30am – 12.30pm FREE Event
• Saturday March 14th: Decorate and plant your own Mother’s Day Gift
• Sunday 22nd March: Foods that Fight Cancer, 1-2pm €10. Join local scientist and two times cancer patient, Judit Warner and discover what are the best cancer beating foods to grow and eat. Cost €10 – includes complimentary green tea and healthy nibbles
• Saturday March 28th: Lawn Care Clinic, 2-3pm FREE event
Tennis coaching for children will re-commence in Boyle for five weeks from Monday Feb 23rd, 4pm to 5pm. The €25 cost includes membership until March 2016. Enquiries please to Noreen Hawkins on 087 657 3046
Belinda McCauley and Peggy Feely (Mayo Roscommon Hospice) accepting a cheque from Liz, Ciara and Mary Frances from recent Christmas fundraiser at Ardcarne Plantsplus Garden Centre. Thanks to all our customers!
Wake up to God this Lent: This is the theme of our Lenten Programme in Galilee.
Collette Furlong will facilitate the presentation on Tuesday, February, 24th & March 3rd. Her topic is “The Art of Practising the Presence.” Fr. Vincent Sherlock will facilitate the presentation on March 10th, 24th &31st. His topic “The Enchanted Way – reflections from the road to Calvary.”
LENTEN RETREAT this year will be given by Carole Barry on March 14th. More details later.
Sony Music will have an album of songs available for download at the end of this month. It will feature songs you will have heard through the award winning Moone Boy TV series ... "Tico's Tune" "Where's Me Jumper" etc and "Moone Boy" which was written with lyrics by our own John Mulligan and music/performed by our friend Charlie McGettigan.
• The long awaited Series 3 of Moone Boy will be shown on Sky 1 HD starting. Special guests through the series will include Sir Terry Wogan, Sharon Horgan, John Sessions & Bronagh Gallagher and guests from Series 1 and 2
The 2015 date has been chosen - it's Sunday August 23rd. The committee has already begun to put a fun filled day for all the family together. Lots of information on up coming events to follow.
Roscommon has the worst water supply leakage problems in the country. Most local authorities are losing 40 per cent of their water supply through leaks, but the percentage in Roscommon is 62 per cent; the worst rate in the country.
• The question that occurs immediately is "Should Irish Water charge Ros Co Co for Leaked Water?" ... they will certainly charge householders for domestic leaks!!
The Boyle Civic Arts Collection Committee have hung "The Glory Foretold", a 2002 work by artist Patrick Pye. the painting can be viewed in St. Joseph's Church close to the baptismal font. The painting was donated to Boyle Civic Collection by the Haverty Trust and is an artistic representation of the Transfiguration showing Jesus, Eliza, Moses, Peter, James and his brother John.
Boyle Traders do themselves and Boyle proud with the quality of their shop window displays. At all times of the year our traders exercise their creativity, giving time and money to quality window dressings that would grace any town, anywhere. As we head to longer daylight hours and fast approaching St. Patrick's Day I will photograph and publish many of these beauties!
One of the most widely advocated pieces of dietary advice from the 1970s and 1980s - to cut intake of fat and saturated fat in order to reduce the risk of a heart attack - was wrong and should never have been introduced, according to new research.
A new law will require restaurants, takeaways and all food service outlets to post the information alongside the price for all items offered on their menus. The Restaurant Association of Ireland claims the move would cost businesses, and is blaming the ‘nanny state’.
1. will every menu in the country have to be reprinted?
2. who is qualified to measure the calories?
3. will there be new menu inspectors?
4. what numbskull came up with this idea?
Sure, obesity is a problem, but so is the continued availability of cigarettes, booze and contaminated water!
Bus Éireann has unveiled an upmarket new fleet of coaches which it claims are "better than the car". 20 new coaches will go into service on Expressway’s 23 intercity (including Dublin Sligo I guess) routes next week. The buses are painted with the new red and silver livery, changes which the entire fleet will undergo. The buses were built through a joint-venture partnership of Irizar in Spain and Westward Scania in Roscommon.
• Population 64,065
• 10.8% are Non-Irish Nationals
• 13.7% have a Disability
• 9,396 Older people & 28% live alone
• 6,257 One Person Households
• 2,950 Households without a car
• 7,468 Households without a PC
• 34% Households have no Internet access
• 719 individuals with no formal education
• 25% of the population have 3rd level education (???)
• 13% of college graduates receive their first job in the county
• 4,579 over 25's on the Live Register September 2014 (Castlerea highest rate signing)
• 1,371 under 25's signing September 201
Viewers regularly ask for articles published previously on realboyle.com. I have resurrected the old Realboyle Blog which I started in 2011 and update it in tandem with this website. Please use the "Search this Blog" button at the top right of the page to find what you are looking for.
View Blog [here...] Facebook [here...] and [here...]
* This is a PERSONAL website and does NOT claim/pretend to represent or portray an official view.
* There is no person or body with a mandate to represent everyone's views.
* Site content is offered in good faith and without intention to hurt or misrepresent.
* E&OE - Errors and Omissions Excepted
* All photographs are © copyright and may not be used without permission.
Google Searches: realboyle, realboyle.com, Welcome to Boyle, Boyle Co.Roscommon, West of ireland, Boyle, Boyle News, Boyle Accommodation. Boyle Restaurants, Boyle Education, Boyle Photos, Ballaghaderreen : Ballyleague : Boyle : Castlerea : Cortober : Elphin : Knockcroghery : Monksland : Roscommon : Strokestown
Clck on a town name...
Email news /events