• Thousands of species die each year due to climate change
Aer Lingus to modernise brand - with Chris O'Dowd
Chris O’Dowd and the Irish ‘travel gene’ - the story behind its new TV ad. It features a voiceover from Chris O’Dowd, stars real cabin crew and is soundtracked by a modern recording of the big band classic Sentimental Journey.
• The choice of Moone Boy and Bridesmaids actor O’Dowd "will resonate well in Ireland" and show that "we’re not trying to put on airs and graces".
Clarke's Bar & Restaurant
First item on the Menu Main Courses ... Roast Beef Lunch, Friday 22nd May
King House, May 22nd-23rd: Special two-day history event hosted by Roscommon County Council: Arts Office & Library Services.
"Paths To Freedom" is aimed at examining and explaining the many "shades of green" that existed in Ireland in the run-up to the Easter Rising of 1916.
Concrete Bomb discovered in Ballinameen
Recently a homemade Concrete bomb was discovered in the Ballinameen area. Those bombs packed with explosives, were used by the old I.R.A. 1920-21.
• Barry Feely is at present researching a book on the old I.R.A. in the Boyle area. He is covering the 1st Battalion North Roscommon Brigade which includes, Boyle, Doon, Ballinameen, Breedogue, Frenchpark and Fairymount. He is interested in any memorabilia from this period 1916-1922 like photographs or stories of incidents. He is writing about the life and times in a Garrison Town. The book will also include the activity of the R.I.C. and the British Army.
• Info should be sent to email@example.com or Barry Feely, Doon, Boyle, Co.Roscommon. 086 258 4822
• Karl wrote: "Hi Sean, you may have noticed that we have set up an online merchandise shop for Boyle GAA through O'Neills."
• Rescheduled underage fixtures in Abbey Park;- U12 Boys will play St Barrys tomorrow (Friday) in Abbey Park 7pm. They will play Oran on Wednesday next 27th. The U12 Girls will be in action on Tuesday 27th All Club members are asked to assemble in the Abbey Park on Monday at 6.45pm to do a major tidy up in advance of the Championship double header on the following weekend
Boyle Farmers Market - A Celebration of 10 years
Graphic courtesy of Una Bhan
Una Bhan Tourism is delighted to mark Boyle Farmers Markets’ 10th Anniversary with a celebration event on Saturday 30th May 2015, in the grounds of King House, Boyle between 10am and 2pm. The event will include food tastings by artisan producers with information and advice, a FREE BBQ (free BBQ food for those spending over €5 on produce in the market), Glendeer Pet farm from Athlone will showcase some of their adorable animals, Eagles Flying from Ballymote will display a majestic
Live music provided by talented local musician Adam Daly, free face painting and free prize draw.
The Marriage Referendum - Friday 22nd May
I have made up my mind whether I will vote Yes or No. Amidst all the waffle. posturing, lies, emotional arguments, attempts to bully by both the Yes and No brigades as well as party political urgings, I was certain I would vote No, mainly because (like the Right To Water debate) I believed the wrong question is being asked of us. Now I see it as follows:
1. There can be two definitions of Marriage, one by the Catholic Church and the other by the State.
2. There should never be discrimination against any section of society, (Gays, Travellers, Brits, Romanians, Blacks, Followers of certain sports etc)
• Accordingly I will, with a few reservations, vote Yes ... but hey, don't mind me ... make up your own mind, but Vote!!
Caitlín & Ciarán Concert in King House
Caitlín & Ciarán's Concert in King House on Wednesday 20th was so enjoyable and so professional. It is true that the foundations were solidly laid by the performers of old. However, Caitlín & Ciarán offer something new, fiddle and concertina playing jigs, reels, hornpipes, waltzes, matches and an 'American' polka in an modern but traditional style. While playing in unison and then each playing drone notes and/or counterpoint to the respective 'tune carrier' ... heady
be performed at this level by masters of their art.
The dynamics of a Caitlín & Ciarán concert include humorous and informative stories as well as the "Did I tell You She dances" brilliant stepping by Caitlín, for some years a Riverdance performer. Her steps were neither Sean Nós or those we might see at a Feis, but very much in the admirable Michael Flatley mode of maximum and athletic percussiveness.
Refurbishment of playgrounds - Press Release
journal.ie - The 9 at 9, Thursday
journal.ie - Here's what happened on Thursday
Bend in the Canal
If you walk as far as you can on the northern side of Boyle Canal, you will arrive
at the spot where I took this smartphone picture on Wednesday 20th May
In 1161, the Cistercian monks established Boyle Abbey. Previously, they had made three unsuccessful attempts to settle in the province of Connacht. The monastery, which was completed about 1220, was laid out according to the usual Cistercian plan with a church on the north side of a rectangular cloister area, with a chapter house for meetings on a second side, a kitchen and refectory on the third, and store houses and dormitory likely on the fourth.
Ballinafad Amenity Park / Playground
Well appointed and beautifully maintained by a local Ballinafad committee
Ballinafad is off the N4 approximately four miles from Boyle
Both banks of the canal are favoured by leisure walkers and obviously traffic-free
Half of teachers see children arriving to school hungry at least once a week, according to a new report. Teachers see the impact of food poverty in school, and estimate that nearly one-in-five children don't have breakfast at least once a week. Teachers surveyed also report that one-in-three parents mentioned concerns over their ability to make their food budget stretch to the end of the week.
"Hey Jude" So', he says, 'Jaycee’s dead. You nailed him good.' ...
Did You know?
• You Don’t Get Cramps From Swimming Within An Hour Of Eating
• Your Nails And Hair Do Not Keep Growing When You Die
• Excessive Sugar Does Not Lead To Hyperactivity
• Viking Helmets Never Had Horns
• The next time you drop your food and someone yells “Five Second Rule”, you’d be better off ignoring them. It takes less than one second for something like Salmonella to transfer to your food
• The myth that dogs are color blind has been around for awhile, but it turns out they’re not as color blind as we thought. Our four legged friends can actually see a variation of different colors, just not to the extent that we do.
Expressway ... new buses
Food product - set up a business
Anne wrote: For anyone who is in the process of setting up their own FOOD PRODUCT business or in the early start-up stage, we’re organising a 2-day workshop for Tuesdays: 16th + 30th June from 9.30am – 5pm in The Shambles, Ballaghaderreen, facilitated by James Burke of James Burke & Associates. This is a joint initiative between Mayo and Roscommon Local Enterprise Offices. Bookings are made online by following the
Doris Rabe wrote: "Cookery course in St Joseph’s Resource Centre in Boyle on Tuesday, the 26th of May, from 6:30pm – 9pm.
It’s all about easy-peasy and very yummy gluten, dairy and sugar free cooking and baking, with a focus on breakfast suggestions, snack ideas, desserts and bread making. I will also demonstrate a main meal that you can enjoy together with all the other samples you are going to taste. There will be loads and nobody will go home hungry!
The evening will include recipes, as well as information and handouts on how to enjoy a healthy diet free of gluten, dairy and sugar. All included for €35. Places are limited so please let me know as soon as possible if you would like to book your place, thanks! Phone 085 154 3354, Doris Rabe Nutritional Therapist & Cook"
Boyle Arts Festival - Call for Creative Submissions!
Calling all artists, photographers, designers and poets! Boyle Arts Festival invites you to enter two creative competitions in the run up to this summer’s spectacular festival- The Open Art Exhibition and Poetry Competition.
St.Joseph's B.N.S. - Sponsored Walk
This enthusiastic group were favoured with good weather during their Sponsored Walk for St. Joseph's Boys National School, Boyle, on Sunday 17th May
Open Table Sunday Lunch Menu 17th May
2 course €16.00 : 3 course €20.00
Near Knocknashee, Boyle
Safe Link Services
Safe Link provides help to women who are victims of domestic violence and abuse. As previously reported Safe Link received a letter from the Child and Family Agency Tusla, confirming that funding would cease from July 2015.
safe Link Chairperson David O'Connor has informed me that a very positive meeting was held today and as a result it is hoped that the Safe Link Service will be maintained in Boyle. David stressed that there is "nothing in writing yet" but that confirmation is hoped for in the near future. Frank Feighan TD and others have been singled out for special thanks for the parts they played in keeping the service active in Boyle.
Clarke's Bar opening hours:
• Lunch Monday-Saturday from 12.30pm
• Evening Meals Thursday - Monday from 5pm (closed Tuesday & Wednesday evenings)
"Here at Clarke's we are flexible with our opening hours if a group requires a booking outside of these opening times, please call Clarke's on 071 966 2064"
Visiting a flower show isn't just a great day out – it's a rich seam of inspiration that'll fire you up for the rest of the year. The BLOOM Flower Show in Dublin is a must for all garden lovers and starts in just two weeks. There are some Tickets to Give Away in a Free Draw at Ardcarne Garden Centre - be sure to enter next time you visit.
Of course you can always find great inspiration here at the garden centre (Boyle & Roscommon Town) and this Saturday staff will show you how to plant up the perfect containers and baskets for summer long colour.
Ardcarne Community Childcare Services Ltd
Family Fun Walk & Fete on Monday 1st June (Bank Holiday Weekend) Meet at Cootehall School at 12.30pm walk around Cootehall Village (approx 2km, suitable for all the family! Back to the School for refreshments and Fete with stalls, games and fun for all the family. Cost: €10 per family for walk Fete stalls from as little as 20 cent upwards.
• Date for your Diary! Ladies night on Friday 26th June at 7.30pm in Tara Marina Restaurant & Bar. Start with a glass of champagne on arrival followed by 3 course buffet meal and music with Carol O’Dowd. Tickets €20 & will be available soon.
Boyle Pleasure Grounds - Unkempt Playground
Noting that Boyle Tidy Towns have called for "May Action Month", let's hope that Roscommon Co Council, custodians or The Pleasure Grounds, will find time and resources to give the playground attention. Following bad weather and new season's growth, the playground appears neglected and unkempt ... not what tourists, visitors and locals might hope for.
Endorsement for Feelystone, Boyle
Jim McGrath wrote: "We are delighted with the endorsement I got from Aideen Lewis, Dublin after we finished putting in her new granite countertop."
Aideen wrote: "The whole experience with Feelystone was positive from beginning to end. We are thrilled with the finished product. Our experience was that of the customer at the center; being listened to and not pressurized but feeling confident that THEY were confident in their product. Would Feelystone pass the ultimate test of being recommended to a friend? ABSOLUTELY!"
Padre Pio Pilgrimage
The annual Padre Pio pilgrimage to Holy Cross Abbey, Co Tipperary will take place on Sunday 31st May. The pilgrimage will be led by the new Archbishop of Cashel & Emly, Dr. Kieran O'Reilly. A bus will leave The Crescent, Boyle at 8am sharp. Enquiries please to Moya on 071 966 2110
Roscommon Co Council - out of hours service
If you have an urgent issue, or need to pass on important information and the office is closed, continue to phone 090 6637100 and instructions will be given on how to contact a member of staff in the local area. This out of hours service should only be used for urgent issues that cannot wait until the next working day.
Deerfolk and a Dome
Jenny Jessop (aka Jennifer O'Dowd) spent five weeks at home with us in Boyle and returned to Melbourne during last week with her husband Tim and their three children. She is obviously
locations and photographed
• Pentecost Retreat: Sunday, May 24th. 10:30am
East Bros Machinery
East Bros ... their services and huge stocks of leading brand Tools For Hire, Lawnmowers, Chainsaws, Generators, Tillers, Outboard Engines, Farm Machinery Spares Lubricants & Accessories. Visit their showrooms, Doon Boyle (Just off the N4)and browse for your current and later requirements. Tel: 071 966 2710
Essays & Observations - Dermot Earley
Did you know?
Ireland's population (Year ending April 2013) 4,593,100 (Year ending April 2014) 4,609,600
• Immigration (Year ending April 2013) 55,900 (Year ending April 2014) 60,600
• Emigration (Year ending April 2013) 89,000 (Year ending April 2014) 81,900
Council plans for Boyle & Lough Key 2015-2021
People in north County Roscommon are being asked to make their views known on council plans for the area. Copies of the plans are on public display until the 10th of June at the planning office and customer services desk of Roscommon County Council, Boyle library, Boyle area office, Knockvicar Post Office, and online
Lough Key Forest Park
Ireland's Toughest Muckers - register now
Next event, 13th of June 2015 in Lough Key Forest Park Boyle. Registration opened, Wednesday 22nd April.
• Ireland's Toughest Muckers will attract entries countrywide. The event is a strength and endurance challenge set over a distance of 10 km with 15+ obstacles for competitors to overcome. First wave will off at 12.00 noon and there will be 10–15 mins given between each wave of competitors.
• There will be food and drink at the finish line, music and entertainment after the event while waiting for all competitors to finish.
Super work here from Darren Purcell - I never saw Boyle looking as well !!
Boyle Landmarks - King House
King House is a magnificently restored Georgian Mansion located in Boyle, County Roscommon. It was built in the early 1700’s for Sir Henry King, whose family were one of the most powerful and wealthy in Ireland.
Home deliveries from the Roma Grill
Lucio wrote: "We will be delighted to deliver food to your home, 6pm -12 midnight.
Delivery service 7 days a week, €1.50 local. To order please call 071 966 2147
Magee's Fashion Shop
Magee's Fashion Shop - current display includes the winner's cup for Best Window
Display for last week's St. Patrick's Day. The St. Patrick's Day Committee thank you [here...]
Fish from the Trawler and cooked to perfection
"We will cook delicious Smoked Cod and Ray for you!
Profile of Co. Roscommon
10.8% are Non-Irish Nationals
13.7% have a Disability
9,396 Older people & 28% live alone
6,257 One Person Households
2,950 Households without a car
7,468 Households without a PC
34% Households have no Internet access
719 individuals with no formal education
25% of the population have 3rd level education (???)
13% of college graduates receive their first job in the county
4,579 over 25's on the Live Register September 2014 (Castlerea highest rate signing)
1,371 under 25's signing September 201
Older realboyle articles, comments and photos
Viewers regularly ask for articles published
previously on realboyle.com. I have resurrected the old Realboyle Blog which I started in 2011 and
update it in tandem with this website. Please use the "Search this Blog" button at the top
right of the page to find what you are looking for.
View Blog [here...] Facebook [here...]